Monday, September 29, 2014

Packing, vaccinated, land mines and still waiting....


I have another temporary visa in hand (thanks CVX immigration team), travel services are booking me on the red eye out of SFO and I'm packing all I can.  I'm allowed three 70 lbs bags and I will probably do about that (one just with food).  

Our sweet clinic staff in San Ramon have now shot me with about all the vaccines I could ever need.  I got my last rabies shot last week and strangly enough Zero had a vet appointment last week too and got his rabies shot. 

Still waiting on the real work visa.  Uncertainty is just temporary, or a way of life now.  Still lucky all around.  Pretty much drinking, eating and seeing special friends every day till I go.  

On another note, interesting reading on Angolan landmines. 
- Angola still has millions of unexploded mines 
- The government was expected to have all mines cleared by 2012 but has requested a 5 year extension due to the mass numbers 
- One out of eight Angolans lives in a landmine rittled community
More than 80,000 Angolans have been maimed or killed by landmines since Angola’s 27-year civil war started in 1975
Since 2008, trained deminers have cleared just over 160 million square metres of land, and helped rid the country of over 297,000 anti-personnel mines, 9,508 anti-tank mines and 491,767 other unexploded ordnance devices, such as artillery and mortar shells, rockets and bombs.
-  The clearing helps Angolans develop their agriculture industry and gain access to the rich soil

On a contrasting note, my last bit of zen nature at the park. 


1 comment:

  1. Have fun, good luck and stay safe and healthy (no Ebola!!) Can't wait to hear some stories.

    ReplyDelete