Friday, August 8, 2014

T.I.A.

TIA-  this is Africa. 
I have head this expression a few times now. Basically get used to some inefficiencies. However many systems work well and all is really getting better.  
Well I am getting used to it and doing just fine.  Sure to be challenges ahead but oh well.  At least I get time off every month once I start and what a great opportunity all around. 

I'm eating most of the food cautiously but it's generally ok in staff house.  I had some good fresher OJ in a cafe the other day. Had some great fruit in malongo.  

Lessons and adding to the list:
- make sure to look both ways and on sidewalks for mopeds and cars
- hand items with left hand, like when handing something to waiter. My colleague said that is more polite then the right
- always say bom dia, boa trade and boa noite to all.  Good day, good afternoon, good evening 
- not supposed to walk alone or with valuables- I'm not doing well with this one so far. 
- sanitize as much as I can. 
- bring bleach
- more zinc drops and ready for anything medicine
- bring more vitamins and emergency
- coat hangers
- bring the brite day light someone special got me 
- bring small fan, even though run the AC fan all the time
- of course more trail mix with almonds and chocolate. 

Don't: 
- bring home Ebola
- bring home a mosquito

Another day in ...  Sun came out at least. It's winter and mild now. All keep telling me it gets hot ( like Africa hot) and will be most of the time and lots of intense rain. 

My back to back gets here tomorrow which will be great. Dinner out tomorrow night. 

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great posts! I'm enjoying learning about the cultural norms.
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete